meshmixer 2.9 is now available for Linux!
We cannot stress enough that this is an experiment. The meshmixer team does not use Linux desktops, and we don't have any experience packaging or distributing Linux applications. We also don't have the resources to guarantee ongoing support for Linux. But we're trying! So please bear with us.
If you have any feedback or suggestions, please do not hesitate to post on our Linux forum.
Ready to make some crazy-ass 3D stuff? (or boring stuff too). Please follow these steps to get up and running:
1) Click to Download the Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit .deb file
2) Open your Downloads folder and double-click on the .deb file. This will launch the Ubuntu Software Center
4) Click the Install button on the right side of the Software Center window. You will have to enter your admin password, and installation will take a few minutes.
3) [NOTE: this step should no longer be necessary as of mm 2.9. However if you get errors about missing directories on startup, please try this step.] Download the meshmixer folder here. You have to unzip this folder and then place in your /Documents folder, such that you have ~/Documents/meshmixer, with the subdirectories shown below:
4) Open a Terminal and run meshmixer from the command line:
5) If meshmixer doesn't open and run like you expect, please come and talk to us in the Meshmixer Linux Forum.
Bonus Step) Our .deb installation process also adds the meshmixer package server to your apt sources list. So, once you have done this initial install, to get new versions in the future you can just run "sudo apt-get install meshmixer".
[July 7, 2015] meshmixer 2.9 for Linux
- auto-install of documents folder
- .deb improvements
[February 13, 2015] meshmixer 2.7 for Linux
- Initial release